Build the Island of Freedom with your own installation!
Build the Island of Freedom with your own installation!
Tender for art installations at SZIGET 2017 - The Island of Freedom.
Do you have a great idea for an outdoor installation or a finished piece? Share your idea or your plan with us and be one of the many who build the Island of Freedom! Sziget welcomes the best concepts of designers, artists, light sculptors, etc. to join this tender to make Sziget festival even more extraordinary!
The Art of Freedom tender is now open for the fourth time in a row by Sziget Cultural Management with the mission to support local and foreign artists and provide a platform for the installations at its festivals.
Projects that are welcome:
Design something extraordinary, spectacular and funny, something that Szitizens just cannot pass by.
Design a sculpture, installation, decoration or functional tool that could be a great add-on to the Sziget vibe!
It should be charming and impulsive, so the Szitizens of the island can be amazed by the pure energy of art!
- Design in a way that nor the festival-goers, neither the weather could harm the installation
- Think low-budget! Not only expensive projects could be charming and attention-grabbing
- Environmental protection is a key priority for Sziget, so keep your work “green-friendly”
- We love the most creative and spectacular works that carry a positive message, could be managed easily and can be destroyed hardly.
- Our goal is to give our festival visitors the most spectacular and exciting adventure while enjoying our festivals.
Who can apply?
- Artists, artistic groups
- Beginners, sympathizers, amateurs, professional
- There should be a company behind the applicant, who can sign a contract and provide an invoice
- Decoration: separating panels, fences, stage decorations, shades, decoration lights
- Resting tools: seating installations for enjoying food, for relaxing, for recharging, community spaces
- Functional buildings : ticket booths, toilets, shower facilities, garbage, fence covering decoration
- Installation as decoration: from small to giant sculptures, games, creative interactive installations
Applicants can apply in more than one category with more plans, but they should all comply with the terms and conditions of the tender.
- The projects selected will receive the amount that will cover the costs of the realization of the project.
- Keep in mind, that the project should have a detailed budget in the application that cannot be modified later on.
- The amount can be received after signing a contract and after sending an invoice.
- The overall budget of the tender is 100.000 EUR. We aim to have as much projects from this amount as possible.
Basic concepts when applying:
- Your concept should represent the spirit of the Island of Freedom
- Works submitted should be your idea. No plagiarism, please
- Make it unique and spectacular
- Be politically and ideologically neutral, the works appearance shouldn't violate any laws, others feelings or personality rights
- Think green! In 2017 Sziget aims to follow an energy-saving and green path, so when designing stay environmentally-friendly and use natural or recycled materials! When selecting these will be preferred
- Works should be festival and weather-resistible as they will stand open-air for 10 days
- Works should not be dangerous
- Works are preferred without the need of digging (for stabilization) and are stable statically in all means
- We and our Szitizens both prefer works that are not only pretty, but useful as well, like exterior partitions, installations where one can sit or lay down, shades protecting from sun or rain or stage decorations or lighting tools – these should definitely have a sturdy structure
- We prefer works that can be easily transported and (dis)assembled, practically stored and that could be re-installed in the future for more times, at least for 3 years
- The works applied will be filtered continuously and the winners can only attend the festival if a mutual agreement was made and the details were signed in a contract
Submitting your project
Deadline for application: 25 February, 2017
Judging: March, 2017
Results (first round): 25 March, 2017
Personal consultation (second round with the winner applicants): May, 2017
Contracting: May – June, 2017
Building at the festival: 1-8 August, 2017
Festival: 9-16 August, 2017
Dismantle: 16 August, 2017
What does Sziget offer?
Artists will receive festival pass to install, maintain (secure) and dismantle the work.
In case it is necessary we will provide the artist with an advance payment on the account of the tender value. In addition, the exact location of the installation will be decided together.
When putting together your application...
- precisely consider and list all technical needs, also if you have any question regarding the location of the finalized work
- think about lightning protection in case your work is taller than 8m,
- when designing your project and at the realization process you need to fulfill all relevant magisterial provisions and other laws,
- make sure your budget is calculated in the net amount and it should include all costs as there is no chance for modification afterwards,
- keep an eye on the deadlines as we cannot accept any works after the date has passed
- be aware that chosen installations will need continuous operating and maintaining staff on site for the duration of the festival, who can fix any breakdowns (tickets are handled by Sziget). Installations should be kept in their original state and this task is the role of the applicant.
- there is a possibility for longer building periods with earlier starting dates. Please let us know in the application if you need this.
All personal data and documents will be handled by the Organizer confidentially, in accordance to the operative laws. Furthermore the Organizer reserves the right to document and rearrange incoming applications and use them for communicational purposes of events of Sziget Cultural Management Ltd. in the future free of charge. In any case the installations of the winning projects would be displayed anywhere else than Sziget (anywhere outside the festivals organized by Sziget Cultural Management Ltd.) an approval of Sziget Cultural Management is needed.
In case the ready installations cause any accident or any harm at any events of Sziget Cultural Management Ltd. during their normal use, the applicant will be held responsible.
Sziget Ltd. does not store installations and does not transport it on the first dismantling day of the festival. A separate agreement will be made if the installation will be re-used.